- I’ve mentioned before that, for me, before every big race there’s a moment where I actually feel my "engine start" where I get excited for the race, anxious to go. I get a rush of energy, enthusiasm and focus. Usually it happens a couple of weeks before the race. Don’t know if it’s because of the illness, or the inconsistent training or maybe it’s just not time yet…but I’m not feeling it for San Diego yet. Hopefully it’ll still happen.
- Yesterday was a busy cooking day – I was craving grilled cheese so I made grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. For dinner I put the new food processor into action and made an updated version of my vegetarian pasta salad recipe. The new recipe includes some green olives and more finely chopping the red peppers and I have to say that it really was delicious.
It’s really quite a simple recipe:
1 lb of whole wheat pasta – I often use a rainbow rotini for color.
One large red pepper (sometimes I’ll do a second pepper or a different color for variety)
A handful of green olives with pimento (it’s the Helen Amstutz school of cooking – "a bunch of this" "some of that")
2 cups of shredded Fat free or 2% mozzarella cheese (at least. I like a lot of cheese)
A few sliced sun dried tomatoes
A "bunch" of non-pareil capers
Some Kraft Fat-Free Zesty Italian dressing
Cook the pasta (about 10 minutes) in boiling water. While that’s happening chop the pepper, olives and sun-dried tomatoes into fine pieces (the food processor makes it easy) and mix in the capers. When the pasta is done, dump it into a colander and rinse with cold water until the pasta is cool and firm to the touch. Dump into a bowl, toss in the chopped veggies and cheese, add dressing to taste and toss. It’s low fat, vegetarian, and quite tasty. This recipe makes a bunch of it – easily enough to serve 2 or 3 adults…maybe more.
- Last weekend I got my guest bathroom basically done. The color scheme is sort of "creme and purple". I have a little extra urgency because I’ll have houseguests in about 6 weeks. I was going to get some new houseplants, but didn’t manage it – so when I get back from Santa Fe I’ll work on that. Last bit I need to do is convert the guest room into an actual bedroom. Right now it has a dresser (full of linens) my second TV which I rarely use, a recliner and that’s it. I need to get a futon or small bed and to get rid of the recliner – something else to deal with when I get back from Santa Fe.
- I get to see my dad tomorrow! On my way through L.A. on the way to Santa Fe I have about a 3 hour layover. That means I get to grab a quick meal with my pop (and Mom if her work schedule allows) — he’s going to come down to LAX, pick me up and we’ll cruise over to In-N-Out (of course) for a tasty treat.
- Just 1 chapter left to go. Whew.
STILL fighting with this damned cough and a few little body aches. So once again a run – probably a little shorter than I might otherwise have liked. Time will be a tad short today anyhow – I have to pack and do my usual work today. I’ll try to do some core strength work as well.
Quote for Today
"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it’s what you are expected to give — which is everything."