A few miscellaneous items:
- First meeting of the Honolulu Marathon Training was tonight. Good group – nearly 100 strong. Lots of great new faces, lots of old friends. We had a nice orientation run while Brian tried to sort out who belonged in what group. Great to see that Alan will be my assistant group leader. Diedre, Kanoe, and maybe Johanna will be joining us on Wednesday too. Sorta hopeful that Jen might drop back and run with me too.
- After training eight of us went out for Greek food. I had a vegetarian grape leaves dish that was quite tasty – the leaves were so tender you could cut them with a fork and filled with a nicely seasoned rice. Rina gave great service and the gang had a good time. Kelly taught the group about Twitter and thought Owen was wearing her watch (turns out he has the exact same watch). Only "complaint" was that the pita bread was a little inconsistent. Mine was warm and soft; Jen’s was a little more cooked and hard. It was hard to pass up the cheesecake for dessert, but nothing tastes as good as being fit feels. We’ll definitely go back though. I’ll have pictures to post when Kelly e-mails them to me. Despite the requests I refused to show my abs. 🙂
- Some of you know that my Swiss Ball actually POPPED the other day. So I got a new one, but I got one size too small. So today I went and got a bigger one. Nice to have my desk "chair" back. I had meant to buy some Omega-3s while I was out but forgot. Hey…worth a try.
- The Wii is not a substitute for regular exercise but it DOES get you up and moving around. So while it shouldn’t take the place of your morning run or evening swim, as a supplement to it a good game of tennis or bowling probably does burn a few hundred calories. And that’s better than sitting on the couch doing nothing. 🙂
- I’m going to take the year off from Fantasy Football. I know, I know. But I’ve been so wrapped up in other things I just haven’t kept up on the personnel moves (wait, didn’t Favre retire?) so if I did play most of my draft choices would just be total guesses anyhow; and that’s not how I like to play the game. I think I might just enjoy being a Charger fan this year and not having to worry about lineups. And I’m thinking about going to San Diego to catch a game or two in person this year.
Actually it’s from Saturday – Brian talking to the troops at the Marathon Training orientation meeting. It was great to see so many old friends and meet a lot of new ones. Regina is busily making a tiny human – she’s due November 20th – so her participation will be a little limited but it was great to see her. Lori B was there and looking slim and trim (fresh off her Kona 70.3 Ironman triumph). Noa, Trish, Matt, Jill, Bill, Brett, Richard…it felt a little like a reunion.
Some of the crew who are doing the training didn’t make it to the orientation – like Christine, Vern, Holly and a few others.
I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to bike over to Ko’olina and do a swim workout or drive up to the gym for weights/swim. It’s raining tonight (more great rainbows today!) and if that weather holds I’ll opt for the gym rather than biking in the rain. Right now I’d say I’m leaning 70-30 towards gym. Either way I’ll be up stupid-early and looking to exercise.
Quote of the Day
(Actually something said to me today)
"The right things are often the hardest…"